Function keys are the 12 set of programmable keys dedicated to serve extra purpose which regular keys doesn’t, which can be very useful from time to time. Now-a-days, specially Laptop manufacturers are combining these 12 set of keys and Multimedia keys in one set of keys for less space consumption. Some of the users are running into trouble because their Function Keys are not working properly.
There may be a hardware fault or sometimes it is the keyboard software bug to blame for the problem.
But before going for the fixes make sure that there is no error with the keyboard itself. You can check your keyboard with another computer. If the keyboard is working fine except the Function Keys, here are some fixes which will solve your problem-
Fix-1 Try pressing Fn/F Lock /F Mode Key
This is mainly seen on the new version of the multimedia keyboards where multimedia keys are combined with the function keys and both of the operation can be accessed by a single key. This is the cause of the error for almost every user. Follow these next steps to lock/unlock the Function keys-
1. Look if your computer has any keys that has Fn/ F Lock/ F Mode Key. Press that and press any function key. Look if that is working or not.
1. Press Fn/ F Lock/ F Mode Key for one time and release it. Then, try to use the Function keys.
If these methods didn’t work out, go for the next fix.
Fix- 2 Press F11 or F12 key
Sometime pressing F11 or F12 can solve the problem with Function Keys. Try this fix for a few time and if it still not working out then go for the next fix.
Fix -3 Update your keyboard driver
Corrupted or faulty software of the keyboard can be the cause of the fault. You can try to update your keyboard software with these steps-
1. Press Windows key+ R to open Run. Now, type “devmgmt.msc” and hit Enter. Device Manager utility will open.
2. In the Device Manager window, look for “Keyboards“, click on it to expand it. Now, from the drop-down select the driver. Right click on it and click on “Update driver”.
3. You will be prompted with “How do you want search for the drivers?“. Choose the option which says “Search automatically for updated driver software“.
Wait till Windows searches for compatible driver for your keyboard, downloads it and installs it. Then, reboot your computer. Try the Function keys again and you will find them working.