Windows 10 users are reporting to have an issue with disappearing mouse pointer on their computer. Majority of the users who are facing this problem are using Windows 10 on a touch screen device, where “touch” and “mouse pointer” both options are available. If mouse pointer is disappearing on your computer that may be because your mouse pointer driver is outdated or may be because you forget to turn off Tablet mode.
It is a possibility that your mouse has gone out of order. So, it is better to try your mouse on other computer. If it is working fine in other computer then go for these fixes-
If mouse is not working for you then you have to try all these fixes with keyboard.
Initial Workaround :- Before proceeding towards the solutions, you may press Fn+Esc keys together from your keyboard or Fn+F9 keys together from your keyboard and check if mouse cursor start showing up again or not. For most of the users this works.
Fix-1 Re enable your mouse pointer from mouse settings
If you have recently upgraded your Windows, then it is possible that Windows disabled your mouse during the update, and didn’t enable it again. So, you have to enable mouse manually-
1. Press Windows key in your keyboard and type “mouse settings” and hit Enter.
2. Now, press Tab until “Additional mouse options” is highlighted under “Related settings” options and hit Enter. This will open ‘Mouse properties‘.
3. Now, press Tab button for 5 times to highlight “Buttons” and then press right side arrow key to go the “Device Settings“.
4. Now in the Device Settings press Tab until you select ‘Enable‘. and hit Enter. This will enable the mouse again.
5. Reboot your computer to save the changes.
Check if you can find the mouse pointer on your computer after restart. Go for the next fix if you still can’t find your mouse pointer on your computer.
Fix-2 Update your mouse driver
If your mouse driver has a corrupted driver then it will stop working, means you will not find any mouse pointer or cursor on the screen. Updating your mouse driver may fix the problem. Follow these steps to update your mouse driver
1. Press Windows key+ R to open Run. Now, type “devmgmt.msc” and hit Enter. Device Manager utility will open.
2. Press Tab and the first term on the list will be highlighted. Now, press down arrow until you have reach “Mice and other pointing devices“. Now press right side arrow to expand it. Now, select the mouse device you are using with down arrow. Now, hit Enter to open the “Properties” of that device.
3.Now, in the Properties window, press Tab for three times- that will highlight “General” tab. Press right arrow to go the “Driver” tab. Now again press Tab to select the option that says “Update driver” and hit Enter.
4. You will be asked “How do you want search for the drivers?“. Just hit Enter to choose the option “Search automatically for updated driver software“.
Wait till Windows searches for compatible driver for your keyboard driver, downloads it and installs it.
5. Press ‘Alt+F4‘ to close the Device Manger window. Reboot your computer.
Check if you can see the mouse pointer. If still you can not see mouse pointer on your computer, go for the next fix.
Fix-3 Remove any older mouse you are not using
May be you have changed your mouse recently and you forget to remove the older devices from your computer. Follow these steps to remove any older mouse-
1. Press Windows key and type “Settings” and hit Enter.
2. In Settings window, press Tab to highlight the first settings called “System“. Press right arrow key to navigate to the “Devices” settings. Press Enter to open the Devices settings.
3. Press Tab to highlight the option “Bluetooth & other devices“. Again press Tab to highlight the options from the “Bluetooth & other devices“. Press down arrow to highlight the device you don’t want. Again press Tab to highlight “Remove device” and press Enter.
4. Press Alt+F4 to close the Settings. Restart your computer and check if you can find your mouse pointer on your computer.
For those who are using wireless mouse
1. Check your mouse battery.
2. Disconnect and connect your mouse with the computer.
3. Disconnect the USB adapter physically you are using for the mouse and connect the USB adapter again.
For those who are using touchscreen devices (like Surface devices)-
As these devices accept two types of input ( touch and external mouse), the users face this problem frequently. You can attempt this fixes on your device-
1. Disable the Tablet mode–
When you are using your device in touch screen mode, switching to the Tablet mode may be handy, but sometime it prevents Mouse pointer to appear on your computer.
1. Touch on Notification Center icon at the bottom right corner. In the Notification Center area, make sure ‘Tablet mode’ is not highlighted.
2.Try Disengaging Surface Pen from your device-
The problem of not seeing the mouse pointer is maybe because your Surface device is connected with the Surface Pen. Sometime mouse pointer becomes too small to notice. Try disengaging the S-pen for a while.
Check if you can see the mouse pointer on your computer.