Facebook is a wonderful creation but with its own downside. One such downside is the Birthday reminder feature. The social networking site reminds you about upcoming birthday of the people in your friend list. The social protocol dictates that you wish people on their birthdays.
As I rarely log in to the social site, I have to face the brunt of my friends for not wishing on their birthdays. Now I don’t have the traditional excuse that I forgot your birthday or real men are not supposed to remember birthdays. Thankfully I found a workaround of wishing people automatically on their birthdays. Here is how it is done.
Things you need
- Facebook account – the devil that has started all the problems
- Google account – If you have created a Gmail account then automatically you possess a Google account. Isn’t Google great, doing all the things on behalf of us!
- A smart phone- a cheap phone like iPhone will serve the purpose… 🙂
- IFTTT app on your smartphone
Steps to automatically send birthday wishes to Facebook contacts
Sync Facebook birthday events with Google Calendar
- Login to your Facebook account
- Click on the “Events” link in the left hand panel
- On the right hand bottom, you will find a link for “Upcoming Events” and “Birthdays”
- Right click on the Birthdays link and copy the link address
- Open your Google calendar. There are various ways to open your Google calendar. You can directly click on the link https://www.google.com/calendar and login using your Gmail user id and password.
Alternatively you can login to your Gmail account. On the top right corner you will find the App launcher icon. Click on the icon and select Calendar.
- On the left hand side panel of your Google Calendar window you will find “Other calendar”. Click on the down icon besides the “Other calendar” and select “Add by URL”.
- Paste the link that you copied in the step 4 above and click “Add Calendar” button.
- The syncing will start and after few moments (depending on your internet speed) you will find a calendar has been created under the “Other Calendars” option.
Create an event in IFTTT to wish birthday to Facebook contacts
- Download and install the IFTTT app on your smartphone.
- Create an account in the App.
- In the app select the option for Adding a recipe.
- Click on the option for “Search Recipes” and search “Facebook birthday”.
- Select any of the pre-created recipes for “Wishing Friends on Birthdays”.
- It will ask you to connect your Google channel and Facebook channel. Enter your credentials and the app will start posting automatically on their birthdays.
Voila! You are done. Now you can thank me for giving this awesome tip by sharing this post on Facebook or tweeting about it.