It is very frustrating when you are trying to open your favorite game or an important application but you are denied with a message “The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142″ . If you are facing this issue then you are not alone, many Windows users are reporting about facing the same problem but for a variety of applications. It is seen that majority of users are reporting to face this issue when they are trying to open below listed games/applications-
- Far Cry 3
- Metro Last Light
- Dying light
- Far cry 4
- Call of duty Advanced Warfare
- Gta V
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Witcher 3
- Watch dogs
- Metal Gear Solid V- Phantom Pain
- Age of Empire
- Star Wars Battlefront 2
This problem mainly occurs due to missing DLL (Dynamic Link Library) files on your computer. Downloading and copy-pasting those DLL files in your game directory should solve your problem. Before going for the fixes, you should restart your computer and after restarting check if the problem is still there or not.
Go for the solutions if the problem is still there-
Fix-1 Run the application as an administration
The problem you are facing can be solved by opening the program as an Administrator. To set the application to always ask for Administrator permission to open, follow these steps-
1. Locate the application you want to open and right click on it. Click on ” Properties“.
2. Go to the “Compatibility” tab. Now, check the box beside “Run this program as an administrator”. A tick will appear in the check box. Click on “Apply” and “OK”.
3. Reboot your computer and try to run the application.
If the error is still there then go for the following fixes.
Fix-2 Download and replace DLL files
You can download these dll files and copy and paste them in the game installation directory. This will solve your problem. Follow these steps-
1. Download the Game Error Fixer file as a zip file.
2. Extract the “Game Error Fixer” file in a suitable location. Now, select all the extracted files and right click on them and click on “Copy“.
3. Go to the game directory you are facing the problem with, right click in an empty space and click on “Paste“.
4. Restart your computer and check if the game is running without the error. If the error is still there then go for the next fix.
Fix-3 Run System File Checker on your computer
System File Checker (SFC) is a tool which can detect and repair corrupted files of on your computer. You can run SFC with following commands-
1. Press Windows Key+R to launch Run. Type “cmd” and press “Ctrl+Shift+Enter“. This will open Command prompt with Administrative rights.
2. Type this command and hit Enter. This will take some time.
Wait till the process is complete.
OR, If this command fails on your computer follow this step-
2.Type this command in command prompt and hit Enter.
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows
Wait till the process is completed.
Reboot your computer and check if the error is still happening or not.
Fix-4 Use Process Monitor
Process monitor is a tool which shows real time processes, uses of registry keys, ram usage on your computer. You can use process monitor to the process which is causing the error you are facing. Follow these steps to use process monitor-
1. Download Process Monitor tool. Now, extract the downloaded zip file in a suitable location. Double click on “Procmon” to open Process Monitor.
2. Minimize the Process Monitor tool. Launch the game/application you are facing problem with and minimize it. Open the Process Monitor tool again. Press Ctrl+T on your keyboard. This will open Process Tree on your computer.
3. Now, select the game process in the Process tab, and click on “Inlclude Subtree“.
6. Now, look closely if any error message is shown in Process Monitor like “NAME NOT FOUND” or “PATH NOT FOUND“. If you find out that any .dll files are missing, then download the dll file. Copy and paste it in your game directory.
Reboot your computer and try to run your game/application. Check if the problem is occurring again or not.
Fix-5 Reset the value of LoadAppInit_DLLs in Registry
If you are using an antivirus on your computer, it may happen is that your antivirus has changed the value of LoadAppInit_DLLs registry key. This change in the value data can trigger the “The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142″ error. You have to manually reset the value of LoadAppInit_DLLs registry key. Follow these steps-
1. Press Windows key+R to launch Run, and type “regedit” and hit Enter. Click on “Yes” if you are prompted by User Account Control. Registry Editor window will open on your computer.
2. In Registry Editor, on the left pane, navigate to this location. Double click on “LoadAppInit_DLLs” on the right pane.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion \Windows\LoadAppInit_DLLs
3. Now, set the Value data to “0” and then click on “OK“.
Reboot your computer and check if you can run your game/application without any error.
Fix-6 Update your NVIDIA driver
If you are facing “The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142″ error then it may be happening because there is outdated graphics driver is installed on your computer. To update your NVIDIA driver follow these steps-
1. Search “Nvidia drivers” from your browser and click on “Download Drivers|NVIDIA“.
2. Now, in this window, under ‘NVIDIA Driver downloads’ section choose “Product type“, “Product series“, “Product“, “Operating System“, “Windows Driver Type“, “Download Type” according to your driver specifications. Now, click on the “Search“.
3. Now, click on “Download” to download the driver.
4. Locate the downloaded application on your disk. Now, double click on it to start the installation process of the driver. Click on “Yes” when you are prompted by User Account Control.
Restart your computer to finish the installation process.
Check if the problem is still there or not by running the application/game again on your computer. Your problem should be fixed.